Sunday, September 4, 2011
The rainy weekend
Our Saturday lost it's charm when the rain started and it never stopped. We played cards together and I got a game of chess in with Leonardo. Sammy and I took a nap. I expected to rest for an hour or so but we ended up sleeping a solid two hours and Sammy and I both had a hard time going to bed. I had to give both of us melatonin just to sleep. It was raining from the start this morning. We walked arond the town in the rain. We found a crepe place and had crepes for lunch. We made it to the Palais de L'Isle, a small castle in the middle of a river on an island. They have turned it into an architecture museum of the town. The bottom line, it was cool because it's more than seven hundred years old. The prison cells were inspiring time out rooms:). We saw another castle that has been turned into a Contemporary Art and Animation Film Museum. Again, the art was ok, but the building was so cool. The walls are two and three feet deep. There was a chapel in the first place with ancient paintings of Mary and Jesus that are so old, you almost can't see them. The furniture display in the second castle was super cool. Armoires and trunks from the sixteenth century! The built in potties were most impressive. The arches in the ceilings of the tower rooms were so cool. Tiffany and I went to mass at St. Maurice's. It was a very old church. The architecture was amazing. I kept staring at the wood carvings with gargoyles and saints. The most incredible thing though: the organist played a classical piece before and after mass. We walked in as he was finishing the before piece, but his after piece was Toccatta in D Minor, by Bach. Talk about a holy experience. Hearing that song played on an organ like that in church with those acoustics: WOW! It's stil raining and the kids are getting really crazy with all of this pent up energy. We are thinking of going to the library tomorrow if it's still raining (and it's supposed to). I am bummed out because if it keeps raining, we won't be biking around the lake, and we certainly won't be swimming in it:(
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
In spite of the rain it sounds like everything is
ReplyDeletegoing good. Enjoying finding out what you are
accomplishing each day, even with rain!! LOL